If you’re thinking of selling your Ambergris Caye property, read over the tips listed below to ensure a timely and profitable sale. We are always interested in hearing from potential sellers and would be happy to provide you with a free evaluation of your property with no obligation.
- Contact several Agents/Brokers and ask what they can do for you in terms of marketing. You should expect a combination of internet, display and print advertising. Note that 95% of sales on Ambergris Caye are to Americans and Canadians.
- Ask for references from past clients, preferably one client from the last six months and one from two or three years ago. Always check that the Agent/Broker provided the exposure and services as promised.
- Provide as much information as possible to your Agent/Broker (utility bills, insurance information, annual maintenance expenses, income reports, CC&R’s, copies of the title and a recent survey or plot plan). This information will familiarize your Agent/Broker with the property.
- Consider offering seller financing, which may or may not work for your property, so discuss it with your Agent/Broker.
- Ask your Agent/Broker to provide an evaluation of your property, taking into consideration location, condition, demand and current market comps (recent sales of similar properties). The end result should be a proposed listing price range.
- In Belize, sellers pay the real estate commissions and GST (sales tax on the commission) and the buyers pay the closing costs. Ask your Agent/ Broker about the standard rate for your property category.
- Consult with your Agent/Broker about quick improvements that will make your property more desirable and shorten its time on the market.
- If you are selling your home or condo with full time tenants, you will need to come to an understanding with them regarding cleanliness of your home as well as being able to schedule showings to prospective buyers.
- Give yourself plenty of time to sell your property, remembering that the prime selling months for most properties are December through June. Try to have the property listed a few months before that to maximize exposure.
If you have questions or concerns about a current transaction, or you are thinking about selling your property, do not hesitate to contact us.
Tips for Buyers • Tips for Sellers • Relocating • Developers • Investors • Building a Home